Going car-less in the country can be hard | Letters | UK news
While I applaud David Halley’s determination to surrender his automobile and “walk more and use public transport” (Letters, 11 March), this feature isn’t open to people who are living in rural spaces the place the distances are larger, there are not any pavements or motorcycle paths and public shipping is ceaselessly being reduce. The drawback is exacerbated via the executive’s housebuilding programme which has noticed principally Tory councils approving large new tendencies (2,000 homes round this small marketplace the town on my own) with out accompanying infrastructure. I concern that car-free nirvana is additional away than London-based Halley would possibly believe.
• I accept as true with George Monbiot (Cars smash our lives. Within 10 years we will have to segment them out, 7 March) and Bruce Ross-Smith (Letters, 11 March). However, there’s a very powerful level this is lacking: we don’t all are living in towns. “Close-clustered” is a superb concept however tricky when you are living in a village or small the town. Getting to university, paintings, the physician, signing on, buying groceries and assembly pals must be as simple in the country as it’s in a town.
An intensive manner of investment and operating public shipping in rural spaces will have to be advanced in order to vastly cut back automobiles on our roads and lead them to more secure for cyclists and pedestrians. For instance, a community of small electrical buses (what has came about to hydrogen energy?) may just run ceaselessly all day linking villages, hamlets and cities, unfastened to all.
• Perhaps satirically, the highest factor about having a automobile is that it makes conceivable country walks in far off spaces now not served via public shipping.
• Not each borough has stalled on growing just right networks of electrical automobile charging issues (Councils stall on including charging issues for electrical automobiles, 14 March).
By 2020, Hammersmith & Fulham can have a community of greater than 250 electrical automobile charging issues. And via April we’ll have 70 lamppost charging issues. Electric automobiles are the long run of commute in London and to make it available, we have been the first London borough to introduce the all-electric Blue City automobile membership and primary to supply unfastened club for citizens.
We’ve confronted precisely the identical monetary pressures as different native government. But we’ve prioritised rising our community of electrical automobiles as we wish to be the greenest borough in Britain.
Cllr Wesley Harcourt
Cabinet member for the surroundings, Hammersmith & Fulham Council
• A gorgeous success via international bike owner Charlie Condell (Cycling file places UK rider, 18, on most sensible of the international, 12 March), and evidence, if wanted, that as of late’s children haven’t had their sense of journey dented via the seductive comforts of recent lifestyles. As a bike owner, albeit person who regards the UK as being slightly large enough for my octogenarian legs, I used to be amused to look the similarities between his less-pleasant studies and mine. Roads stuffed with potholes, offended lorry drivers and snakes – this remaining danger being the just one lacking from my reasonable journey! But in all probability I’ve that to come back as species transfer northwards throughout the climate-changed planet.
• Join the debate – electronic mail mum or [email protected]
• Read extra Guardian letters – click on right here to seek advice from gu.com/letters
• Do you may have a photograph you’d love to percentage with Guardian readers? Click right here to add it and we’ll submit the highest submissions in the letters unfold of our print version